Corporate Counsel Series: Litigation 2018
August 10, 2018
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM (Reception following)
Commerce Bank Conference Center
1551 N. Waterfront Parkway
Wichita, KS 67206
Foulston Siefkin's Corporate Counsel Series has been developed specifically for corporate counsel with the goal of assisting you in your responsibility to provide high-quality legal guidance to your organization. Join us at Foulston Siefkin's headquarters in the Waterfront for our Litigation 2018 seminar.
RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organization, address, e-mail address, and telephone number. Register early, limited space available. This is a FREE seminar for corporate counsel only. Enrollment not available for attorneys in private practice without prior approval.
This activity has been approved for 2.0 CLE credit hours for attorneys in Kansas and 2.2 CLE credit hours for attorneys in Missouri.
Litigation Update 2018
Presenter: Jeff DeGraffenreid
- Litigation statistical trends in Kansas and the Tenth Circuit from 2015 – 2018:
- What kinds of cases are being filed and where?
- How do these trends impact in-house counsel and their clients?
- Recent cases and rules changes
- Case Update
- Impact of judicial changes
Effective Mediation Strategies
Presenter: Kyle Steadman
- Overview of mediation
- Planning for a mediation
- Is the dispute ripe for mediation?
- What to look for in a mediator
- Preparing for a mediation
- Gaining authority
- Elements of a great mediation submission
- Participating in a mediation
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Memorializing a settlement
From Sedona to the Federal Rules, What’s New in the World of ESI and “Regular” Discovery?
Presenter: Holly Dyer
- Overview of recent Sedona Conference guidance (BYOD, FRCP 34(b)(2), The Sedona Principles Third Edition)
- New Federal Rule of Evidence 902 and “self-authenticating” ESI
- Recent decisions applying modified FRCP 37(e) and discovery sanctions, including:
- Marten Transport, Ltd. v. Plattform Advertising, Inc., 2016 WL 492743 (D. Kan. Feb. 8, 2016)
- Adcox v. U.S. Postal Serv., 2016 WL 6905707 (D. Kan. Nov. 22, 2016)
- Thummel v. PSI Transport, L.L.C., 2018 WL 1304826 (D. Kan. Mar. 13, 2018)
- Johnson v. Unified Sch. Dist. No. 500 Wyandotte County, Kan., 2018 WL 306811 (D. Kan. June 1, 2018)
Up next in the series...
Foulston Siefkin's Corporate Counsel Series: Ethics 2018 will be held the afternoon of Tuesday, October 23, 2018. Foulston Siefkin LLP is pleased to offer our ethics seminar in Kansas City, Topeka, and Wichita. If you are unable to join us for the Wichita event in October, please check back on our Seminars page for a Topeka date after the first of the year, and a Kansas City date in May.